Thursday, December 04, 2008

MC Detroit


If you are one of the three people that read my blog then you probably know that I love to take pictures and on occasion will take a little photo adventure. Well, today happened to turn into one those adventures. I left school a little early and headed out to the grand metropolis of Salt Lake City for the always cool down town pictures.

Things started out as normal. Me snapping pictures here and there, wandering around like I'm lost. Getting funny looks from people as I stare at shiny things and broken buildings. The first hour continued this way, then the adventure started. I met MC Detroit (not his real name, I don't remember that, but this name stuck). Mind you, this isn't my first go round with a homeless man. As a matter of fact I am kind of known for taking pictures of the less fortunate. But, nothing like this has ever happened to me before. To the best of my memory it went something like this:

MC: Hey, wanna take a picture of me?
Me: Sure, I would love to.
MC: What are you taking pictures of?
Me: Oh, anything really (as I snap a few pics of him sitting on the edge of a cement flower box)
Me: Where you from?
MC: Detroit.
Me: What brought you to Utah?
MC: I don't know. Hey how fast is that Camera?
Me: Oh, I don't know. Pretty fast.
MC: Sweet, I'm gonna break dance for ya!

So the saga began.


MC Detroit busted out the moves right then and there, no shame.


The amazing thing you might ask? Well, there were two. First, he was actually really good. Second, he did the whole thing without spilling a drip of his V8 drink (another amazing fact is that it was V8 and not something a little more popular in the homeless crowd).



In my photography adventures in the downtown area I have met drug dealers, drunks, super nice people, and even a psychic once.



But, I have to admit I have never met a break dancer. At least not one that was as eager to bust a move for me as MC Detroit was.



So if you are ever in down town Salt Lake and meet a break dancing hobo, tell MC Detroit hi for me.
I was also able to snap a few pics of things you might normally see in a city. I have posted them below (except the crazy tree one at the top, who would have thought you would get a cool tree pic in the middle of down town). Most of all it was fun to get out and push the shutter button a few times.






By the way, I also met this guy, who was super nice. Apparently a little shy though, when I asked him to break dance for me he wouldn't.
Until next time....BUST A MOVE!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so awesome! You would meet people like that wouldn't you? haha. Very cool story tho, and great pics. I like the graffiti pic... and the tree pic is awesome as well. You are great behind the camera, I'm excited to have you coach me up.

Curtis Fisher said...

That's awesome, did you should get some break dancing lessons from him.

Your photos are great, you have a very good eye. What camera do you use?

D.J. Ashby said...

Thanks for the nice comments. I use a Canon 30D. Curtis, do you do any photography?